Town Lane
An earlier photo, perhaps about 1960, shows a Malthouse, between the 2 rows of cottages; it was demolished before 1965 and it is said that also here had been an Inn known as The Sign of the Trooper ;perhaps this indicates the presence at some time of militia being stationed nearby. An area to the west of the George and Dragon has long been known as Barracks Yard.
Teddy Ball
Both photos include the stone row which still stands, now
converted to just 2 dwellings. Here Mr Teddy Ball lived and operated his Joinery,
Wheelwright and Undertaker business. Having made the coffins Teddy used a 2
wheeled handcart to deliver them around the village.
Residents who remember Teddy Ball tell that as a coffin
maker he made his own coffin.....and kept it under his bed!
The next picture here is an invoice from Teddy of 1935 for the
funeral of Esther Dickens of New Street. A shellibier mentioned here was a
funeral hearse. Our thanks to the gentleman who shared this invoice at a Heritage day a few years ago.
Jephsons Cottage
Before reaching the Recreation Ground we pass the 2 bungalows on our left built by life-long friends Frank Paskins and Sam Holmes. The photo here shows the construction underway in 1965.
Opposite the bungalows we can
see in the hedge old stone walls, remains of a tiny cottage, shown by the arrow
in the picture above.. This was home to the Jephson family during the 1930s.
They were Mrs Jephson and 2 sons, one of whom was Frank , known as Chang, who
after his usual evening trip to a pub one night during the war, fell asleep on
a wagon at Tibshelf Sidings; He was woken by police who arrested him, believing
him to be a German Parachutist!
James Moody. I was born in the centre cottage of the three centre cottages on the 13th May 1943. The address of the cottage at that time was 21 Cragg Lane, Newton, Derbys
ReplyDelete